The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Community Care Coordinator opportunity, you will have:
- Experience working with patients in behavioral health or community care settings, such as in case management or medication management roles.
- Demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining relationships with local providers.
- Basic knowledge of different current and relevant mental health approaches and resources.
- Training in, or willingness to be trained in, MET and intervention techniques.
- Technical savvy, including:
- Comfort using instant message/text, email, GPS navigation
- Familiarity with Internet research; MS Windows; MS Word, Excel and Outlook; and other standard business software.
- Proven strong documentation skills and habits.
- A quiet, private, distraction-free home office work environment.
- A reliable high-speed Internet connection (cable, DSL or fiber) with speeds of at least 10Mbps download and 5Mbps upload.
- Reliable transportation, a valid driver's license and an insurable driving record.
- Willingness to:
- Frequently provide transportation to and from appointments for enrolled members and meet members out in the community, such as at a café.
- Drive up to four hours one way to meet with a member (more typically it will be 45 minutes to an hour); you'll need to be familiar with the local geography.
- Stay overnight in a hotel up to 10% of the time.
- Travel for one of your two weeks of training.
- The ability to achieve goals independently and also contribute effectively as a team player.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and be effective within a non-traditional work schedule to meet member/health plan requirements.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to establish credibility and be persuasive in person and over the phone.
- The ability to maintain professionalism while demonstrating understanding and empathy for substance dependent members and families.
- Creative problem-solving skills in removing barriers to successful treatment for members/families.
- Experience with substance-dependent individuals.
- Intervention experience and motivational interviewing skills.
- Working knowledge of managed care organizations and care coordination efforts.
- Experience with healthcare related documentation.
Pictured: Catasys clients tend to be industry leaders, crafting best practices in health care. They provide programs and support proven to improve member health, and healthier members drive claims costs down. Their focus on the right care at the right time delivers the right outcomes for all involved.
The RoleImportant role in innovative program
Reporting to the Community Care Coordinator (CCC) Lead, you will work as part of a team that also includes Outreach Specialists, Care Coaches and others. However, CCCs are the only team members who interact face-to-face with members. You'll be responsible for the local, in-person clinical care coordination of members enrolled into the Catasys OnTrak Program. Members receive outpatient medical and psychosocial treatment as well as Care Coaching services to address substance abuse issues as well as whole-health issues such as stress, depression, anxiety, smoking cessation, and weight management.
At any given time you may be supporting 75 to 130 members, depending on their needs. Some of the support can be done over the phone. This will include working closely with the Care Coach team to provide services to/for members including (but not limited to):
- Assisting with gathering initial paperwork and ongoing assessments of enrolled members
- Meeting potential members in community settings to encourage enrollment/participation.
- Providing transportation as needed for enrolled members.
- Facilitating robust enrollment and participation in the local market.
- And more.
- Help organizations such as health plans or employers develop a clear pathway to enroll their members/employees into OnTrak.
- Present at facilities such as clinics, private medical practices and hospitals to coordinate with facility staff and relevant off-site client personnel (e.g., health plan care managers) to help intervene and provide members/employees with immediate support, guidance and information about enrollment into Catasys OnTrak.
- Maintaining frequent contact with the Catasys corporate team, particularly Care Coaches, with progress reports and updates.
- Working with Network Management/Development to help identify new providers in the region who would be appropriate for providing OnTrak services to identified members.
- Serve as first point of contact for prospective members who meet Catasys OnTrak enrollment criteria.
- Facilitate member connection to their Catasys OnTrak Care Coach, and help facilitate obtaining necessary communication and participation release forms.
- Meet with members entering program, and obtain information requested by the Care Coach and relay this information to Catasys OnTrak Care Coaches via telephone or secure email.
- Work collaboratively with Catasys OnTrak Care Coaches to initiate and facilitate communication and coordination with member treatments/interactions.
- Provide support and education on substance dependence and whole-health issues for families throughout the treatment process if indicated.
- Provide and review additional substance abuse referrals, resources and discharge plans as indicated.
- Respond timely to inquiry calls from participating Catasys health plan and employer clients, Catasys OnTrak Care Coaches, and Catasys OnTrak medical/psychosocial providers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local substance abuse treatment providers, and participate in networking opportunities when appropriate.
- Create and continually update the community resource contact list for use by enrolled members and OnTrak Care Coaches.
What's in It for YouImpact lives in so many ways
You'll support people coping with behavioral health issues and substance abuse -- both underserved populations -- and help them improve the quality of their lives. Not only will you bring members out into the community, but you also will bring community resources to their front doors. You might connect members with food pantries, the Salvation Army, therapists, transportation options, and much more. In the process, you'll also play a part in helping control healthcare costs.
The new face of mental health
Our whole-health approach is tailored to teach each member new behaviors and enable them to make better choices that improve the wellbeing of their minds and bodies. Our model is research-based and we are invested in staying on the leading edge of current thinking and best practices. You'll help us break down barriers and stigmas associated with mental health.
Autonomy and support
Our Community Care Coordinators (CCCs) love the opportunity to work from home. You'll plan and manage your activities and schedule yourself, and as long as you are achieving goals, we'll give you the elbowroom you need to succeed. At the same time, resources and help are always available from the Care Coaches, peer CCCs, and from others in Catasys.
Creative thinkers welcome
In fact, you'll need creativity and resourcefulness to support each member's unique needs. We're also wide open to input as the model continues to evolve. At Catasys, management listens; there aren't layers and layers of bureaucracy between you and decision makers, and our leaders value transparency.
This role can be rewarding, day after day, for years to come. At the same time, our ongoing strong growth and evolution will create the need for proven players to step up. Depending on your aptitude and ambition, you might take your Catasys career in a number of directions. We are committed to promoting from within. Overall we have a high employee retention rate.
The OnTrak program improves health and quality of life for members; for example, members become more proactive with their care, as evidence by increased medication compliance. In addition, the program represents an estimated $20 million in potential annual savings for every one million health plan members, through reduced facility costs (lower emergency department and inpatient utilization) and reduced professional costs (e.g. doctor fees).
In addition to a competitive wage we offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan; paid holiday and sick time; flexible spending accounts and more.
Pictured above: It all starts with our proprietary analytics platform and predictive modeling to identify potential OnTrak participants. Below: This chart shows the central role you'll play in promoting active program participation and coordinating among multiple care resources.
Keys to SuccessWe're looking for smart go-getters that can help us provide an amazing level of service to our clients as part of a pioneering health management framework. A key part of this role is acting as a "hub" among multiple stakeholders -- members and their families, Catasys team members, community resources, providers, health care plans and others -- and you'll need solid interpersonal and relationship-building skills. You'll need to build and maintain solid rapport with coworkers, relying on them to do their part and asking for help when you need it. While you will work on your own in your area, you'll never be truly alone.
Working from home requires a good deal of discipline and self-motivation. While support is just a phone call away, the more resourceful you are in solving problems independently, the more efficient you will be. You'll create and manage your own schedule, and you'll need to know the local geography to plan your days well. Organizational and follow-up skills will be essential to manage a lot of moving parts.
We'll provide training, but you'll need to be proactive about building your expertise in a number of areas, such as becoming familiar with the resources available near the members you support. You'll need a knack for establishing trust quickly in order to get important information from members, some of which may be sensitive. If you don't already have a background in psychology or counseling, you should cultivate those skills (we'll provide some training). You won't conduct counseling sessions, but you will be an extension of the therapeutic process, and every interaction with a member should support their care plan.
As much as anything else, success here will require you to embrace our mission and our passion for making a difference.
About UsImproving Health and Reducing Claims Costs
Catasys was launched in 2008 to serve health plan members suffering from untreated behavioral health (BH) disorders. Since then, the company has contracted with leading national, regional and local health insurance companies to treat many of their most challenging members. Catasys has dramatically improved the health and quality of life for members suffering from co-occurring behavioral and medical health conditions, thus reducing claims costs for health plans by millions of dollars. Catasys now operates OnTrak in Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The company continues to expand into additional states at the request of its health plan customers.
OnTrak offers specialized programs for anxiety, depression and substance use disorders. Programs include medical visits with a physician, psychosocial therapy for skill-building and 52-weeks of care coaching by a nurse. Catasys currently provides OnTrak to commercial, Medicare, and dual eligible health plans located across the country.
Catays' OnTrak program targets a specific but large population that is at high risk of slipping through the cracks and incurring significant but preventable costs to health plans. When patients with co-morbid or chronic illnesses also suffer from substance abuse or behavioral issues, they become more likely to use the health system in very inefficient ways. For example, mental health or substance abuse disorders were ranked 4 of top 10 reasons leading to higher 30-day readmission rates for Medicaid patients. In addition, while 1 in 5 U.S. adults experiences a behavioral health disorder in a given year, less than half seek treatment, even when diagnosed. OnTrak seeks out members of this population, engages them in treatment, and helps motivate them to stay focused and proactive about their own health.
The Catasys team comprises doctors, nurses and business professionals with extensive experience in BH and a passion for alleviating the suffering of individuals with coexisting behavioral and medical conditions. As thought leaders in health care, our staff has published books, papers and studies relating to BH and predictive modeling. Catasys is known for translating proven science into practice quickly, integrating it into its proprietary methodology in understanding and engaging members who need treatment. Catasys, Inc. stock is traded under the symbol CATS.
Video: Produced by American Business Television, this video gives an overview of our company with an eye to investors. However, it also gives you good insight into our stability, performance and growth potential.