The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the Care Coach opportunity, you also should have:
- An active and unrestricted RN/LPN/LVN license valid in the state in which you will work.
- 3+ years of direct clinical experience, including medical/surgical; broad experience is preferred (ER, ICU, etc.).
- Practical experience caring for patients impacted by chronic disease states and co-morbid diagnoses.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to engage, influence and motivate others over the phone.
- Strong computer skills and technical savvy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- The ability to learn quickly and a strong interest in substance dependence and/or behavioral health.
- Self-motivation, initiative and the ability to achieve goals autonomously.
- Clinical experience working with members with substance dependence and/or behavioral health issues.
- Experience utilizing Motivational Interviewing techniques (we'll teach you if you don't know it already).
- Experience with electronic medical record documentation and/or CRM systems such as Salesforce.com.
Depending on need, you will be assigned to one of the following 8- or 10-hour shifts:
- 8-hour shifts
- Monday - Friday, 12 PM to 9 PM EST
- Tuesday - Saturday, 10 AM to 7 PM EST
- 10-hour shifts
- Tuesday - Friday, 10 AM to 9 PM EST
- Wednesday - Saturday, 8 AM to 7 PM EST
The RolePivotal role in innovative program
You will assume responsibility for engagement, enrollment, retention and coordination of care to improve the health and quality of life for OnTrak members. Key responsibilities will include:
- Utilizing clinical and functional assessments of client progress, employing targeted intervention and education, and coordinating care pertaining to members’ identified issue(s).
- Utilizing Motivational Interviewing techniques to elicit active member participation.
- Coordinating member care throughout the treatment continuum, including medical intervention, relapse prevention, treatment of co-morbid conditions, and issues identified through the individual care plan.
Interaction will include both regularly scheduled phone meetings as well as ad hoc calls. Each case will be unique and require a different mix of intervention, motivation and care coordination. Care coordination will include interacting with healthcare providers, community resources, members' families, team members, and others.
More specifically, you will:
- Use exceptional written and verbal communication skills to engage, enroll, and retain members in active participation in the OnTrak program as well as to coordinate member care.
- Conduct superior motivational interviewing, enhancement, and relapse prevention guidelines in telephonic communication with members.
- Demonstrate superior knowledge of the Catasys OnTrak treatment program and usage of the eOnTrak electronic documentation platform.
- Maintain a member-centric focus and provide exemplary customer service to all clients.
- Communicate with or request information from providers in complete compliance with confidentiality standards and in a manner that generates effective communication and cooperation.
- Comply with Catasys policies and procedures, including training, audits, alert response timeliness, intervention and follow-through, supervision receptiveness, and other Catasys related clinical/medical services.
- Comply with Catasys human resource policies and procedures.
- Support and meet any Catasys accreditation, auditing, and contracted stakeholder reporting expectation.
- Work jointly with the Clinical Care Coordinator, Clinical Operations Coordinator, and Embedded Therapist to support member referral, engagement, and enrollment into the OnTrak program.
- Support enhancement of the eOnTrak electronic documentation platform by providing feedback to the development team and performing ad hoc system testing as indicated.
- Adhere to Catasys' Standards of Behavior, which include compassion, excellence, integrity, professionalism, respect, and teamwork.
- Understand and implement the Catasys Vision (Behavioral health no longer negatively impacts Physical health), Mission (Improve health and reduce cost of care for people who suffer from the medical consequences of behavioral health conditions, helping these people and their families maintain better lives) and Values (Member first, team powered, continuous improvement, dare to innovate, driven to outcomes).
More Good ReasonsSee the results
If it is in your DNA to want to help people coping with behavioral health issues and substance abuse -- both underserved populations -- then you couldn't choose a more effective framework than the OnTrak program. Every day you will you help members improve the quality of their lives. In the process, you'll also play a part in helping control healthcare costs.
We know you'll come in with solid experience, but with a new and innovative program, there are always new things to learn. We are a company that truly believes in expanding our knowledge base on a constant basis while offering ongoing learning and educational experiences to help better care for our members.
Autonomy and support
Our Care Coaches love the opportunity to work from home. You'll plan and manage your activities and schedule yourself, and as long as you are achieving goals, we'll give you the elbowroom you need to succeed. At the same time, resources and help are always available from the Care Coach Supervisor, Clinical Care Coordinator, and from your network of peer Care Coaches.
Creative thinkers welcome
In fact, you'll need creativity and resourcefulness to support each member's unique needs. We're also wide open to input as the model continues to evolve. You'll find that, at Catasys, management listens -- and there aren't layers and layers of bureaucracy between you and decision makers.
This role can be rewarding, day after day, for years to come. At the same time, our ongoing strong growth and evolution will create the need for proven players to step up. Depending on your aptitude and ambition, you might take your Catasys career in a number of directions. We are committed to promoting from within.
The OnTrak program improves health and quality of life for members; for example, members become more proactive with their care, as evidence by increased medication compliance. In addition, the program represents an estimated $20 million in potential annual savings for every one million health plan members, through reduced facility costs (lower emergency department and inpatient utilization) and reduced professional costs (e.g. doctor fees).
We work with industry-leading health plans and our proven results have driven significant growth. We have very little direct competition; for one thing, traditional behavioral health providers do not actively seek out and engage members. We're currently in multiple states and soon will be nationwide.
In addition to a competitive wage we offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance; an employee assistance program; flexible spending accounts and more.
Pictured above: it all starts with our proprietary analytics platform and predictive modeling to identify potential OnTrak participants. Below: this chart shows the central role you'll play, as a Care Coach, in promoting active program participation and coordinating among multiple care resources.
Keys to SuccessYour clinical expertise will be essential, but just as important will be your interpersonal and communication skills. Over the phone you won't have body language, gestures or facial expressions to enhance what you are saying -- you'll need to be articulate and have great phone presence to convey compassion, establish trust, educate, and motivate with your voice alone.
Working from home requires a good deal of discipline and self-motivation. While support is just a phone call away, the more resourceful you are in solving problems independently, the more efficient you will be. In addition, in order to be an outstanding Care Coach, you will:
- Practice conscientious work habits.
- Remain adaptable, flexible, and able to manage multiple activities and priorities in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
- Bring strong organizational skills and a detail orientation.
About UsImproving Health and Reducing Claims Costs
Catasys was launched in 2008 to serve health plan members suffering from untreated behavioral health (BH) disorders. Since then, the company has contracted with leading national, regional and local health insurance companies to treat many of their most challenging members. Catasys has dramatically improved the health and quality of life for members suffering from co-occurring behavioral and medical health conditions, thus reducing claims costs for health plans by millions of dollars. Catasys now operates OnTrak in California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The company continues to expand into additional states at the request of its health plan customers.
OnTrak offers specialized programs for anxiety, depression and substance use disorders. Programs include medical visits with a physician, psychosocial therapy for skill-building and 52-weeks of care coaching by a nurse. Catasys currently provides OnTrak to commercial, Medicare, and dual eligible health plans located across the country.
Catays' OnTrak program targets a specific but large population that is at high risk of slipping through the cracks and incurring significant but preventable costs to health plans. When patients with co-morbid or chronic illnesses also suffer from substance abuse or behavioral issues, they become more likely to use the health system in very inefficient ways. For example, mental health or substance abuse disorders were ranked 4 of top 10 reasons leading to higher 30-day readmission rates for Medicaid patients. In addition, while 1 in 5 U.S. adults experiences a behavioral health disorder in a given year, less than half seek treatment, even when diagnosed. OnTrak seeks out members of this population, engages them in treatment, and helps motivate them to stay focused and proactive about their own health.
The Catasys team comprises doctors, nurses and business professionals with extensive experience in BH and a passion for alleviating the suffering of individuals with coexisting behavioral and medical conditions. As thought leaders in health care, our staff has published books, papers and studies relating to BH and predictive modeling. Catasys is known for translating proven science into practice quickly, integrating it into its proprietary methodology in understanding and engaging members who need treatment. Catasys, Inc. stock is traded under the symbol CATS.